WhatsApp has become the world’s most popular messaging app. In February 2018, WhatsApp had 1.5 billion users and was Facebook’s second-biggest property, after its namesake app. It has surpassed Facebook’s messenger and Instagram, the third and fourth biggest properties.
In recent weeks, WhatsApp has added many features and updates to make the messaging app more useful for users. WhatsApp latest version updates from “Request Money feature” to “how to stop sharing data with Facebook”, these are the five latest updates to make your life easier and more tech-savvy.
WhatsApp latest version updates: 5 ways messaging app has made life easier for users
- WhatsApp has launched the new ‘Dismiss as Admin‘ feature for its iPhone, Android and Web apps. The feature is available as Android version 2.18.116 and iOS version 2.18.41. The new dismiss as admin feature enables group admins to demote other admins.It allows an administrator to dismiss another one without removing him from the group. You will be able to locate it in the Group Info menu.
- WhatsApp has rolled out another new beta update 2.18.102 for Android that brings in locked audio recording feature to the app. To lock recording of your voice messages, tap and hold the ‘mic’ icon for 0.5 seconds and then slide up your finger toward the lock button. The voice recording once locked can easily be sent by tapping the Send button. This means that you’ll not be required to hold down the mic button for as long as you’re recording your voice message. Moreover, you can anytime tap the Cancel button, available next to the timer, to trash your recording.
- WhatsApp Payments on Android beta is rolling out a new feature, which will let users Request Money from their friends, contacts. The feature is currently rolling out on WhatsApp beta for Android v2.18.113 in India. To request money from someone via WhatsApp Pay, the user needs to go to Settings> Payments > New Payment. Here they will see the option to choose the UPI ID or the Scan QR code right on top, followed by the list of contacts. Choose either UPI ID or Scan QR code. WhatsApp will then show two options, Request Money or Send Money next to each other.
- After the recent row over Facebook and Cambridge Analytica, a lot of users have come to know that how vulnerable their personal information was. That’s why WhatsApp latest version came up with a security update to avoid sharing your data with Facebook. Although WhatsApp has always maintained that “every message is end-to-end encrypted”. However, the messaging app introduced two steps to feel safe and continue using the app.
# Firstly, you need the tap on the account section on WhatsApp settings. The last option will be able to see is where you need to tap the check mark to the right of Share my account info. To disable the feature, tap Don’t Share.
- WhatsApp latest version will now allow users to download deleted media files on its servers. The feature is very handy for those who might have deleted their media files by accident. WhatsApp now stores the ‘downloaded’ media files on its servers, enabling the users to download it again even after they’ve deleted it from their storage. However, the re-downloadable media files still have a time limit. As seen earlier, WhatsApp did not store the media files for more than 30 days on its servers, the time limit is still believed to be followed by WhatsApp for downloaded or non-downloaded media files.