When do you’ll come back?
Within 10 minutes Papa
Open Your Whatsapp Live Location!
OMG! Smart Papa
Ha! Ha!! Ha!!!
Where are you, darling, waiting for you since an hour?……… Ops! Here I’m just on the way, will arrive within 15 minutes…..
Son where are you, it’s almost 10 pm and we are waiting for you at dinner?……… OMG! Dad, I’m just on my way, will arrive soon within 10 minutes….
We are accustomed of such replies from our closed ones like spouse and children also from friends and peers when they are travelling alone and we are anxiously waiting for their come back at home or at any particular place of meeting and when they very smartly skip their exact returning time from their present location because of fear and embarrassment from their closed ones.
Now no more lies we will be taken for granted because of our most friendly app of our daily life, Whatsapp now brings us a new amazing feature through which you can share your live location with someone on Whatsapp. Now, this feature has been there on Google Maps for quite some time, but will certainly grasp more usage now what it is on Whatsapp.
The Live Location sharing feature can be really handy and useful when you traveling alone or in an emergency situation then share your location with your closed ones. For instance when your boss is waiting for your presence for the projection of your project in the board meeting room with other employees of the company and exactly on that day you got stuck in the heavy traffic jam then without getting the fear of the humiliation in public at the conference room, you can easily share your specific location with your boss by sharing your Live Location In Whatsapp. So in this way, your boss will also cooperate with you without misunderstanding your cause as fake or real by connecting with you at Direct Whatsapp Live Location feature.
Earlier too, apps and internet companies have incorporated social location-sharing as a feature. On Uber, one can share trip status with a contact, which lets them track the cab’s movement in real time. This June, Snapchat launched a location-sharing feature called Snap Map.
With this new feature that’s designed for short-term use, you’ll be able to share your location with a group or in a private chat, letting people know where you are while you’re on the go. As many peoples have the habit of throwing fake location, so in this way now you can trace the exact location of that person, without asking him about his location by watching him directly in Whatsapp.
How to share location with your contacts?
Now I will explain you the procedure of sharing your location with your contacts or in a group.
Step 1-Open a chat of an individual or a group. Tap on Attach (a file symbol). In that, you will find the “Location”. Then click on “Share Location”. (Tap Attach > Location > Share live location ). The screen looks like below.
Step 2-In next step, it will show your exact phone location using Google Map. Then click on the option “Send your current Location”. That’s it.
By default, you can share your location for 15 minutes, 1 hour or 8 hours. Choose one of the options, add any comments (if you want to) and click Send.
However, if you want to share your location for a specific time, you can simply click Stop Sharing when it’s no longer required. For example, If you want to share your location for one hour, you can choose ‘1 hours’ from the default options.
How its different from the current feature?
With the new “live location” a user can choose to let a contact or a group trace their location or movement on a map in real time for a defined window of time. This is different from the current “share location” feature which shares a static location. However, like the static location, live location too will only be visible to the contacts or groups one chooses to share it with. As WhatsApp already allows you to share your location, but that’s only your present location, as a one-time share. That’s helpful for telling someone where to come, for example, but less useful if you want someone to be able to see how far away you’ve reached.
As of February 2017, WhatsApp had 200 million monthly active users in India, making the country its largest market. WhatsApp product manager Zafir Khan told that they try to solve the rendezvous problem in such scenarios where the live location is useful, Your location is shared at the chat level, which means you can share your live location in a one-on-one WhatsApp conversation or a group chat.
The adverse effect of this new feature
This new feature works wonder when you are traveling alone or in an emergency situation and wants to connect live with your closed ones. However, WhatsApp is peeping into your location continuously which has given birth to certain concerns like..first, it is certainly not safe as your live location is highlighting on the internet. Second, if WhatsApp ever compromises the data, just like what OnePlus did recently, things might get into trouble. So better play with it safely. Users can still choose to share a one-time, static location if they prefer.
Notable aspect of this new feature
- With live location sharing, the location is dynamic and updates in real time, even after you leave the WhatsApp app. You can share your location to another person, to let a family member know where you are on your commute home, or to a group chat so your closed ones can see how far away you are from them.
- This feature is fully opt-in and is temporary in nature.You can manually stop sharing live location data within a chat at any given time. A new option in your Account Privacy settings will give you an overview of all WhatsApp chats you are sharing your live location in at the time.
- To check if you have this feature, open any chat either a group chat or a private chat and tap the attach button. There will be an option to select the duration when sharing your location. In case you don’t have this option, the feature isn’t available for you yet.
- You can view the location of users sharing their live location with you in a map view, and you’ll see the names of the users along with a timestamp to show the freshness of that data.
- You can switch to a Satellite/ Terrain view of the map if you desire, and even see live traffic data as an overlay, which sounds pretty convenient if you are waiting for someone.
- In a WhatsApp group, you can bring up the group info and see all users that are sharing their location with the group at that point in time which sounds very useful if you’re trying to coordinate a lot of people and of course, any of those people can choose to stop sharing their location anytime.
How does it confront against the rivalry
Whatsapp Live Location sharing application is pretty similar to Telegram, while Facebook Messenger service lets you choose locations with users in real time, but only for one hour at a time. Apple’s iMessage lets you share your location with users for an hour, until the end of the day or indefinitely.
Google Maps the most likable app to be using when driving out to meet someone in an unknown address – added real-time location sharing features earlier this year. Google Maps users can share their location with others for anywhere between 1 hour and ‘permanently’, though Maps uses links to share your location, which can then be shared further with others without your knowledge, raising privacy concerns.
Influence on battery life?
As per the Whatsapp management, there are few special techniques to help conserve your battery when sharing live location. So it takes into account a number of different factors such as,
- How long you’ve been sharing your live location, whether someone on the other end who you are sharing with is actually looking at the map, your current battery level.
- How often to get a location update from your phone because by being intelligent about that we can help conserve some battery,”
Its surely an advanced move towards technology but many of us may think that it interrupts our PRIVACY, but I think if you see the positive outlook of this feature then you’ll like it rather by feeling it as an interruptive way in your private life.
The location is secured in the same way as other WhatsApp messages it’s end to end encrypted, and the only persons able to see your location are the ones you have opted to share your live location with. As the location is an intimate piece of information, so the option to ‘stop sharing’ is prominently displayed.
There is always a good and bad effect in every aspect of the good invention. So in future, more and more people will use this feature but be one of the usages of it in the right way nor for the intent of any ill act or violence in society.
Share it with your closed ones so that they could aware of your present status or when you want to let your loved ones know that you are safe.
Refer our recent post related to Whatsapp:-